UK Credit

Universal credit applicants could earn £ 400 thanks to rule change

The most vulnerable in our community may be eligible for an additional £ 400 as part of a further change in the rules for universal credit.

It has an impact on who is eligible for the Shared Accommodation Rate (SAR), which determines how much young people can be paid for their rent.

The changes are introduced two years earlier than expected and will affect applicants for universal credit and housing allowance.

Updates to eligibility rules mean people most at risk, including dropouts and homeless people will see their payments increase to up to £ 400 per month, BristolLive reports.

Social Assistance Delivery Minister Will Quince said, “These changes are an immediate boost for some of the most vulnerable young people in our communities.

To get the best GrimsbyLive stories delivered straight to your inbox, click here, or to get Hull Live headlines delivered to your inbox click here.

Loading video

Video unavailable

“We know that having a safe and secure home is essential for getting up and going to work often.

“By making these changes early, we are able to help more people now as we all seek to recover from the pandemic.”

The SAR applies to tenants under the age of 35 who request assistance through their Local housing allowance (LHA). says: “If you don’t live with a partner, the maximum you can usually get is rent for a single room in a shared house in your area, even if you don’t live in shared accommodation. this is called the local housing allowance. rate (SAR). “

You can get more than the SAR, even if you share a flat share, if you:

Live with someone who depends on you, like a child

You are leaving care and are under 25 years old

Have lived in a homeless shelter for at least 3 months in total

Are a former offender managed under a Multi-agency public protection agreement (MAPPA)

Receive the daily life component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Receive the care component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the average or higher rate

You receive long-term care allowance or constant long-term care allowance

Receive the independence payment from the armed forces

Loading video

Video unavailable

Universal Credit uses the local housing allowance to calculate how much housing allowance applicants are entitled to – it is based on average rental prices in the region.

Until now, most singles under the age of 35 could only apply for help to cover the cost of a room in a shared house – called the shared accommodation rate, the lowest LHA band.

But there is a higher room rate for people who need to rent individual accommodation.

Under the new rules, leavers will now be able to claim that higher one-bedroom LHA rate up to the age of 25 instead of 22.

And anyone who has lived in a homeless hostel, regardless of age, will now be able to claim the highest rate as the age limit has been removed.

In short, this means that people who fall into the vulnerable bracket will be able to get more money to pay their rent.

A patient leaving care is a person who has been in the care of local authorities (for example, in an institution or with a foster family) for 13 weeks or more since the age of 14 and who has ended after 16 years.

You can use the Local housing allowance tool to find out the price in your region. Select “shared accommodation” for the room number.

If your house has more than one bedroom

There is a maximum amount you can get for your home under universal credit. You can determine the number of rooms to which you are entitled.

This amount depends on where you live, the size of your household, your income and your situation.

If you pay rent on two houses

Find out what’s happening in your area

To get the best GrimsbyLive stories delivered straight to your inbox, click here, or to get Hull Live headlines delivered to your inbox click here.

Your Universal Credit home payment can cover the rent for two homes at the same time if one of the following conditions apply:

A family member has moved out for fear of violence or abuse, pays rent elsewhere and intends to return

You have started to rent a new house with a disabled family member, but it has not yet been adapted to their needs

If you’re late on your rent

If you are behind on your rent, you could have your housing payment sent directly to your landlord. This is called an Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA).

You can apply for an APA through your work coach. Your the owner can also make the request.

You could ask for a early payment or for difficulties from your Universal Credit Principal Payment.

If your housing payment does not cover all of your rent

You can apply for additional help from your town hall, called “discretionary payment for housing”.

Contact your council apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.