The world’s most beautiful road trip routes announced, including two Irish destinations
We are not surprised that Ireland has some of the most beautiful roads in the world!
A survey of millions of images posted on Instagram showed the most beautiful road trips in the world, based on the number of photos taken and shared on social media.
Pentagon power unit, a UK car rental and sales company conducted the research by analyzing 7 million Instagram hashtags associated with the world’s most popular travel destinations.
By calculating the number of Instagram photos shared per kilometer traveled, they stuck to a list of the top 20 road trip destinations in the world, which includes two Irish destinations.
The results revealed that Great Ocean Road in Australia is the most beautiful road trip route in the world.
The 157-mile coastal road contained a whopping 1,321,570 hashtagged images on Instagram, meaning almost 8,418 photos are taken per mile.
The Wild Atlantic Way came in at an impressive 8, with 853 photos taken per mile.
The 1,600 km route, which stretches along the west coast of Cork to Donegal is sure to be another popular road trip destination this summer, so we’re sure to see updated photos of the beautiful road again on our Instagram.
The Wild Atlantic Way is one of the most beautiful road trip routes in the world (via Getty)
The second Irish entry that made the top 20 was the Causeway coast in North Ireland, who took the nineteenth position.
The study also found that the United States has the most scenic stretches of road of any country, with six entries in the top twenty, including Big Sur, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the famous Route 66.
The complete list of the 20 best Road Trip destinations in the world is as follows;
1. Great Ocean Road, Australia – 8,418 frames per mile
2. Big Sur, United States – 5,226 frames per mile
3. Jebel Hafeet, United Arab Emirates – 4,840 frames per mile
4. Hai Van Pass, Vietnam – 4,298 photos per mile
5. Chapman’s Peak Drive, South Africa – 3,425 photos per mile
6. Blue Ridge Parkway, USA – 1,148 photos per mile
7. Going-To-The-Sun Road, USA – 940 frames per mile
8. Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland – 853 frames per mile
9. Olympic Peninsula Loop, USA – 798 frames per mile
10. Icefields Parkway, Canada – 781 frames per mile
11. Route 66, USA – 780 photos per mile
12. Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, Austria – 677 frames per mile
13. Pacific Highway, Australia – 657 frames per mile
14. Tioga Pass, United States – 533 frames per mile
15. Military Road, UK – 483 frames per mile
16. Cabot Trail, Canada – 466 frames per mile
17. Hana Highway, United States – 345 frames per mile
18. The Atlantic Road, Norway – 294 frames per mile
19. Causeway Coastal Route, Northern Ireland – 244 frames per mile
20. North Coast 500, Scotland – 226 frames per mile
The survey analyzed the photos shared on Instagram (via Getty)
Jonathan Lingham, Marketing Director at Pentagon Motor Group said: “Despite the question about international travel, car travel is still relevant today, thanks to the luxury and convenience of our wheels.
“Since there are so many driving vacation destinations around the world, we were curious as to which route is officially the nicest.” He continued.
“It’s great to see so many wishlist-worthy road trips popping up from all over the world – from the UK to Australia, and from Norway to the US – it proves that anyone can jump in. his car and embark on an epic adventure, ”he added.
Some of these readers have definitely been added to our bucket list now!
Visit our Covid-19 information hub for the latest news and information on the Covid-19 pandemic