UK Credit

Cost of living: Financial support available for Universal Credit recipients

This year has seen a range of household price increases – from rising energy price caps to soaring inflation and food prices – costing your family hundreds, if not thousands of pounds. additional per year.

We’re on a mission to watch over your money, with money-saving offers, contests, giveaways, and insightful stories from your community about how this cost of living crisis is impacting our readers like you.

How to lower your energy bills as prices rise

As part of our campaign, here is a range of financial support available to people benefiting from Universal Credit.


For those applying for Universal Credit for the first time, the Department for Work and Pensions can provide a back-dated or advance payment.

The support is there to help you get by until your first payment but it will have to be repaid to the government.

hardship payment

Hardship payment is available for people who have difficulty paying for basic necessities. It generally applies to people whose benefits have been stopped or reduced.

It will usually be around 60% of your usual Universal Credit payment and you will have to pay the money back through your usual UC payments.

Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA)

If you are a tenant, you or your landlord can apply for an APA if you are having trouble paying rent.

Funds can be paid directly to your landlord through the program.

Claimants can claim up to £812 to help cover emergency costs such as replacing a broken fridge.
Any sum you claim will have to be refunded, the smallest claim being £100.

To qualify for the support you will need to be a UC or other benefits claimant and have earned less than £2,600 in the last six months (£3,600 if you are a couple).

You will also need to have repaid any money previously paid to you as part of a budget installment.

Further details can be found on the government website.