Brinks Prepaid Mastercard® 2021 Review
WWhen it comes to banking services, not everyone is interested in a “traditional” bank account. In addition, in some cases, pass the ChexSystems checking can be a daunting task. As a result, some consumers prefer prepaid debit cards.
Today, prepaid debit cards perform many of the same functions as a bank account. It is possible to have paychecks directly deposited to the card, manage the account online and sometimes even get discounts and benefits.
One of these cards is the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard®. This Brinks Prepaid review will take a look at what this card offers and what you can expect.
When you think of Brink’s, you think of armored trucks, designed to carry cash. And that’s the business we’re talking about. Brink’s was founded in 1859 and is recognized as one of the leading security companies for banks.
In order to provide the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard®, the company has partnered with Netspend, a leader in prepaid debit cards. This card comes with a number of features and is easy to use. However, this Brinks Prepaid review will also look at the fees you can expect to pay if you use this debit card.
- Brink’s gives you the peace of mind you deserve. Securing cash and valuables since 1859.
- With Brink direct deposit, you can get paid faster than a paper check.
- No late fees or interest charges because it is not a credit card.
- Use the Brink’s Money prepaid mobile app to manage your card account on the go and sign up for text or email alerts (messaging and data charges may apply.)
- Card activation and identity verification required. Conditions and fees apply. Card issued by Republic Bank & Trust Company, FDIC member. Click for more details.
- See additional Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® details.
- Get your tax refund directly deposited into your card account and no more queuing to cash your paper check!
Like many other prepaid debit cards, the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® has the following features:
- Text alerts
- Online account management
- Mobile application (includes remote check deposit)
- Online bill payment
- Direct deposit
There are a few additional benefits that you can access with the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard®. These benefits can lead to the card being a cut above some of the other choices available. Some of the product features include:
High yield connected savings account
There are three different plans available with the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® card, and if you choose the Brinks Low Monthly Plan, you can get a high yield connected savings account that earns up to 5.00% APY. It’s a nice touch, designed to help you develop better habits.
When you shop at participating merchants, you receive qualifying offers, and when you return, you receive money credited to your account by Brinks. It’s not quite the same as a credit card rewards program, but you get cash back.
Buy a cushion
There is a $ 10 shopping pad that protects you to some extent when you don’t have enough money on your card. However, it’s not a very big cushion, so it’s important to keep track of your expenses and avoid going over them when possible.
It is also possible to transfer money to friends and family for free if they also have a NetSpend account. They don’t need to have the same prepaid card as you; they just need to have one managed through NetSpend.
The main promotion offered by the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® is a $ 20 sponsorship for your friends and family. When your referrals load at least $ 40 on their cards, you get $ 20 and they also get a bonus.
No Brinks prepaid review is complete without a look at prices and fees. There are three different plans available with the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® card. Each comes with its own fee structure, although all plans come with a 3.5% overseas transaction fee.
- Pay as you go: No monthly fees, but you pay $ 1.00 for each signing transaction and $ 2.00 for each PIN purchase.
- Monthly plan: $ 9.95 per month, no purchase transaction fees
- Reduced monthly plan: $ 5.00 per month, no purchase transaction fees
If you added $ 500 by direct deposit per calendar month, you are automatically transferred to the reduced monthly plan.
There are other fees associated with the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard®, including fees when you withdraw funds and receive cash back at the counter. You will also pay a fee if you reload your account at a NetSpend Reload network location. Any transaction will incur a charge on the prepaid card, plus an ATM operator fee, if applicable.
Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® enrollment is pretty easy. There is no credit check and you don’t have to worry about a minimum balance or late fees. You need to enter your name, address and email address, as well as a type ID to verify your identity. Decide if you want to set up direct deposit, then all you have to do next is choose your card design and complete your request.
Brink’s is a security company, and their card reflects that. Your online account information is protected by encryption and you also have access to MasterCard fraud protection. You should contact Brink’s immediately if your card is compromised so that you can report problems and be eligible for the $ 0 fraud liability offered by MasterCard.
Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® offers an application for iPhone and Android. You can use the app to manage your account, including checking your balance and transferring money. It is also possible to find the nearest charging location using your mobile phone.
It is possible to send secure messages to customer service through the Account Management Center, or you can send an email to obtain customer support. You can also call 1-877-849-3249 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Central time, and 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Central time, Saturday and Sunday. .
Brink’s also offers partner points of sale for loading your card. However, some of these locations charge a fee when you top up, so be aware before using the service.
- Affordable: The monthly fees aren’t much beyond some banks’ monthly maintenance fees – at least as long as you set up direct deposit to get access to the reduced monthly plan.
- High yield savings account: This benefit comes with the reduced monthly plan and is a useful feature.
- Referral from friends and family: It’s not a big bonus, but if you know someone who could benefit from using this card, you’ll earn a few bucks to make the sponsorship worth it.
- Awards: While this is not really a cash back card, there is an opportunity to earn cash back rewards.
- Fresh: The biggest downside to using the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® is the fees. The monthly plan is a bit steep, at $ 9.95 each month. If you choose to subscribe to the Pay-As-You-Go plan, you will pay for each purchase transaction you make. If you end up making a purchase every day, that could be a charge of $ 30 per month.
- Can be annoying: You are automatically enrolled in the Pay-As-You-Go plan and must request to switch to another arrangement.
If you are looking for alternatives to a prepaid debit card, there are online banks that offer accounts at no cost. You can get a debit card and arrange direct deposit, without worrying about monthly fees, while accessing the account through a mobile app. here is our List of free online chequing accounts.
Another option is to search Cheaper prepaid debit cards. Some cards, like Bluebird by American Express and Movo Virtual Prepaid Visa Card, do not come with monthly fees or purchase fees. While you may have to pay a fee to reload a card or there may be a fee to pay bills online, you could still take advantage if you plan your finances.
The Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® is for those who cannot get a bank account, but want some of the benefits and features of a bank account. Those who can make a direct deposit of at least $ 500 per month are likely to get the most out of the card, as it provides access to a high yield savings account–And that means the lowest monthly cost.
If you’re looking for a standard prepaid card with a few extra perks and average fees, the Brinks Prepaid MasterCard® card may be a good choice. However, it is important to take a close look at the fees as they can add up, especially if you stay on the split plan.