With its tall majestic spire, All Saints church at Stone was originally a chapelry of St. Mary the Virgin at Berkeley. The existence of a church serving the local community here can be traced back to about 1250.
PARISH AND VILLAGE
Reputed to be the most stony place in the vale in which it is situated, Stone, which comprises of Upper and Lower Stone, is surrounded by the parishes of Berkeley, Tortworth, Hill and Falfield. It became a parish in its own right in 1797, with the hamlet of Woodford, formerly part of Berkeley parish, being added in 1911. Its history is therefore closely associated with that of Berkeley.
In times past many of the people born and bred in Stone would have been involved, either directly or indirectly, in the rural economy.
|Click here for a map of Stone.|
Joseph Cullimore, John Jenkins, John Lidiat, Samuel Pye, John Sharp, George Shepherd and William Wallington voted at the County Election held in 1776. Thomas Foxwell, John Holloway, William James, John Kingscott, Samuel Lyddiat, Samuel Phillips and George Sheppard cast votes in the County Election held in 1811.